JOB SUMMARY: Responsible to drive a tender truck and deliver chemical and fertilizer supplies to the certified spray and spreader operators in the field. They will load chemical and fertilizer products in the tender truck, in customer vehicles, and in shuttles. In addition, they will perform maintenance on the tender trucks and on equipment in the chemical and fertilizer plant. They will also clean up the plant and keep their vehicle clean. If qualified, they will serve as back up drivers to the certified spray and spreader operators. They will perform their responsibilities in a manner that will optimize the cooperative’s market share and savings, improve the cooperative’s efficiency, help achieve the cooperative’s mission and goals, and provide outstanding customer service. The tender truck driver will maintain a positive attitude that promotes team work within the entire cooperative and a favorable image of the cooperative.
- Current operational knowledge of tender trucks located at assigned location and knowledge of applicable OSHA, State, EPA, and DOT regulations.
- Current operational knowledge of the equipment in the chemical and fertilizer plant.
- Good working knowledge of MSDS information on the chemicals and fertilizer being handled.
- Good working knowledge of seeds, chemicals, and fertilizer products.
- Commercial Driver’s License (A) with Hazardous Materials and Tanker endorsements.
- Custom Applicator’s License if providing back up to certified spray and spreader operators..
- Able to work independently with minimum supervision.
- Computer and data entry skills.
- Ability to react to change productively and handle other essential tasks as assigned.
- Ability to deal with emotional customers and help resolve complaints.
- Frequently lift or move 50 pounds and occasionally lift or move 100 pounds.
PERSONAL PROTECTIVE EQUIPMENT:
Eye protection is required in restricted areas. Appropriate personal protective equipment (i.e. goggles, gloves, long sleeve shirt, and/or face mask) required when handling chemicals.
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
A high school degree or GED.
- Perform tendering duties properly and in accordance with (job orders) delivery tickets.
- Operate and maintain tendering equipment properly and in accordance with manufacture’s maintenance manuals and operator manuals. Report need for maintenance work or replacement of equipment to Agronomy Operations Manager when necessary.
- Mix fertilizer and chemicals properly in accordance with quality standards.
- Report inventory needs to supervisor immediately.
- Back up the certified spray and spreader operator (if qualified) by performing spraying and spreading duties properly and in accordance with (job orders) delivery tickets.
- If operating as a backup certified spray and spreader operator, invoice all product deliveries promptly and accurately, ensuring all tickets are turned in to the office accurately on a daily basis, ensure all cash receipts are turned in daily to office, and present a copy of the transaction to each customer.
- If operating as a back up certified spray and spreader operator, fill out application records completely and accurately, submit application records to your supervisor daily, and inform your supervisor of discrepancies in your reports as soon as you are aware of them.
- Inform Agronomy Operations Manager of any new business opportunities
- Greet customers promptly and courteously with a friendly smile and hello and thank them for their business. Work with your customers to resolve problems and report any possible misapplication problems to your supervisor.
- Ensure customers are informed of safe product handling.
- Actively work to increase personal knowledge and skills.
- Attend product, merchandising, and training meetings as requested.
- Maintain a certified applicator’s license if operating as a backup certified spray and spreader operator.
- Maintain equipment in chemical and fertilizer plant and warehouse as assigned by Agronomy Operations Manager.
- Ensure facilities and equipment meet federal, state, and OSHA regulations. Report any unsafe working conditions to Agronomy Operations Manager.
- Work directly with Field Marketers on any location that you are assisting with agronomy services.
- Maintain a clean and professional appearance for yourself and your equipment.
- Complete special projects assigned by Agronomy Operations Manager.
Job involves work inside a climate-controlled office atmosphere and outside in hot and cold weather.